Portal - Deposit
Out Of Stock!
We will notify you when this product becomes available.
Another world lies beneath.
Clean lines and understated elegance are the dominant genetic traits of our most economic dining table. Slip between worlds as you lift the hardwood leaves like a trap door, revealing a subterranean realm that the uninitiated will never suspect is there. A second surface, a layered vault for your projects and games.
The Portal is a wonderfully accessible piece of furniture. Whether you're playing cards, building a puzzle, or just looking to get your taxes done without the cat sleeping on (or absconding with) all your receipts, The Portal is a cost-effective, heirloom quality table that transforms to meet your needs.
The Portal is our original dining and board gaming table refined to its purest form. Add on an extra set of legs and the Portal can also be re-configured to a coffee table. Add-on a few rail accessories and the Portal changes from a kitchen workhorse to perfect gaming tool in a matter of seconds.
Every Portal includes:
- Choice of 12 sizes
- Choice of wood
- Conversion varnish
- Game Vault System
- Hardwood Leaves (length-wise)
- Vault depth: 2 1/4"
- Transparent layer
- Suction cup to lift transparent layer
- Vault floor: white
- Choice of height
- Rail System
- A Geek Chic Valet*
*The Geek Chic Valet is your geek furniture expert and advocate, here to help you make informed decisions as you optimize your order after placing your deposit.
CHOOSING YOUR SIZE
Open the PORTAL PRICING GUIDE and on the first page you will see the Size Guide matrix and each sizes associated cost. The cost of the included features is based on the size you choose.
Reading the guide:
- The dimensions with the white background indicate the Game Vault's size.
- The dimensions with the grey background indicate the full table's size.
Your Valet will assist you with making sure you get the size the will fit your space, group size, and most importantly, your games!
Geek Chic furniture is all hand-crafted from strong, straight-grained hardwoods, sourced from certified sustainable forests.
To help you choose, your Valet will send you a packet of wood samples for you to peruse in the natural light of your intended space.
These woods are included in pricing:
These woods are upgrades to pricing:
GEEK KNOWLEDGE: Stain? Not if we can help it!
FAS grade lumber is the top industry standard grade of lumber used for high-end furniture. Being the wood geeks we are, we have a created a specialty "Geek Chic grade" of even higher quality lumber that does not need to be stained. (Although you may add-on stain should you choose.) All the images you see on this website are not stained unless specifically stated. You are seeing the quality of our lumber with a clear conversion varnish sealant-- no stain is covering up inferior grades of wood!
Conversion varnish is the clear finish most commonly used in the high-end furniture market. This unsung hero of the finish world is extremely durable, and rated for heavy use. Its a little tricky to apply, but it is worth it. Unlike lacquers and polyurethanes, conversion varnish is completely water-resistant, so you needn’t worry about water, wine or hot beverage stains!Conversion varnish is also a dream to clean-just use mild soap and water and a non-abrasive cloth. Gamer-proof!
GEEK KNOWLEDGE: Household Chemicals Tests show that conversion varnish has no visual effect from Household Ammonia, Vinegar, Lemon Juice, 50% Ethyl Alcohol, Red Ink, Oil Base Paint, Latex Emulsion Paint, VM&P Naphtha, Turpentine, Orange Crayon, Carbon Tetrachloride, 10% Sodium Carbonate Solution, Water, or Grease--Conversion varnish is a superior coating to any brand of varnish, lacquer, or polyurethane!
The Game Vault is where your games and maps are kept safe, flat, and spill/cat/people-resistant. Keep your game safe and in progress with this deceptively simple and infinitely useful system of layers.
A set of hardwood leaves (lid), the transparent layer (with suction cup to lift it) and a white vault floor are included. The remaining layers are game specific add-ons.
For more information on these alternate layers look at the Leaves and Lids & Insets pages of the PORTAL PRICING GUIDE.
HEIGHTYour Valet will ask your height and the heights of your group in order to get the perfect fit. We offer dining table heights every half inch between 29" and 33".
RAIL SYSTEMThink of the Rail System as Geek Chic's utility belt for your table. Light weight rail accessories attach anywhere along the Rail Groove in your table. This system allows for the ultimate in quickly reconfiguring to suit your game.
For more details, open the PORTAL PRICING GUIDE and check out the Accessories page.
$1050 reserves your place in line. Portals average between
$2650 ~ $3700 depending on size and accessories chosen.
Portals are currently home delivered and average between $300 ~ $615 to the lower 48 United States.
If you would like a more targeted home delivery estimate or more in depth furniture information, email firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know:
- The piece of furniture you are interested in.
- The size you are interested in.
- Where you live.
- And throw in any other questions you may have :)
The Emissary vs Portal: Battle for the dining room
Style: Visually compare the physical profiles.
~The Emissary is reminiscent of a harvest table and in general has a little more design detail than the Portal.
~The Portal is more modern and streamlined in design.
Use: How many different things do you want your table to do?
1. They are both equally great for dining.
2. If you primarily play Board Games and Card Games then the Portal has you covered.
3. If you are more of an Omnivore gamer (I play RPGs, Board Games, Card games, miniatures, etc.) than the Emissary will be more appealing.
4. The Emissary's optional desk drawers are large enough for laptops, are mounted on 100 lb drawer slides, and store themselves inside the table.
5. Hook on rail desks can handle about 1/3 that weight as drawers, are not as deep, do not accommodate laptops and don't store inside the table. They are available for both tables.
Structure: Physical limitations and Sturdiness.
1. A Portal comes with a 2 1/4" games vault only, an Emissary can go up to 3 5/8" depth if no drawers are ordered (great for miniatures gamers).
2. A Portal comes with rails only and the Emissary has the option to have drawers and/or rails.
3. Because it is structured to be able to have drawers,The Emissary is technically stronger than the Portal.
4. The profile of the Portal is 5 1/2" thick and the Emissary is 7 1/8" thick. So you can get more leg room on the Portal at a shorter height.
Overall choose the table in order of these priorities:
1. Looks -- Which do you like the look of better? You are going to see this table for a long time!
2. Use -- Which works out functionally the best for you? (Your Valet will help you confirm.)
3. Price Point -- Which table you would like to spend the next 50 years with and fits your budget?
Still not sure which one is the right one for you? No problem, deposit for one and go over the options with your Valet. If it turns out that a different table best suits your needs, your Valet will transfer you to the correct table. For more information see our Read about our ordering process page.