The Vanguard actually started with the making of a completely different table–The Drop Ship Card Table.
We wanted to create a Geek Chic table that was easy to assemble, store, transport, ship by standard mail, and made to limited monthly inventory.
Those goals led us to these design choices:
- Using industry standard legs.
- A lightweight, replaceable lid in one color.
- Minimizing the size and depth of the table to decrease weight.
- Choosing 2 small sizes that could be easily drop-shipped via standard carriers–like regular UPS or FedEx.
What we made vs what we want for you
We took a dozen of these tables to a dozen conventions, and a few game rooms. All that travel, public use, and repeated assembly really wears on a piece and we learned a lot.
- Using industry standard legs was efficient, but not as strong as we would like. This leg style is super easy to use–you see it everywhere, but the weaknesses are the kind of thing we strive to avoid with our designs.
- The lightweight, replaceable lid was a success.
- Clients wanted a larger table; gatherings of 4-8 instead of 2-4.
- The overall style was nondescript and NOT exciting–lacking the elegance and personality like the rest of our Geek Chic designs.
Overall, the DropShip Card Table was well received and is a fine product for a Ready-Made world. Yet the Drop Ship Card Table didn't meet our Geek Chic standards. We are geeks, gamer geeks, wood geeks, geek craftspeople–and as such, we are constantly tinkering. We decided to take what we learned and give this table a redesign.
Back to the drawing board
We went back to our roots - board gaming - and this is what we did:
- We selected the most popular size and configuration for board gamers–nearly doubling the Game Vault.
- We selected a combination of our two most popular woods, cherry & walnut, creating one model with two looks–to blend into more spaces.
- We kept the light weight, replaceable lid and added both wood tones, one to each side–making our first reversible lid.
- We constructed a solid table, designed to set up and break down easily!
|From The Drop Ship Card Table...||...To The Standard Vanguard|
Size: 2’6” x 3'10" Game Vault
Size: 3' x 5' Game Vault
|Out with the old leg...||...and in with the new!|
The table was so improved and different than the Drop Ship Card Table, that we felt it deserved its own name.*
A new table style is born: The Vanguard
|The Standard Vanguard||The Vanguard|
Happy with the standard package and want one on a faster timeline–like Christmas? Then purchase a Ready-Made Standard Vanguard. They start shipping out this November on a first come, first served basis, so get in line now as quantities are limited!
Love the style and want to customize your perfect table? Then deposit for a Made-To-Order Vanguard. Current lead times to delivery have just dropped to 9-11 months. While you wait choose your perfect size, wood color, height, and be able to add on many other customizable options.